13 October 2005

The 5 First-Patch Suggestions

These are great! Please select the one (not your own) you'd like to see begin this Quillt. Consider which patch you'd have the most fun creating the next patch for, as well as which one poses an exciting challenge. E-mail me your selection. If there's a tie (e.g. two patches each receive two votes and one receives a single vote) then I'll list the tied patches and we'll have a second-round to break the tie.

Mz Burgundy:

Do I dare to dream? Not I. For dreams become reality, which all falls into chaos in the waking world. But tell me: How long can one continue without sleep before imagined shadows begin to breathe, to whisper, to live—two days, perhaps three? Until the things flitting across the corner of the eye grow bold and bolder yet; taking shape, solid and formidable as any monster ever conjured in a world of myth and mist. Whether I sleep matters not to the ones whose lives I hold so dear nor to the ancient universe. I spin their existence entire.

Mz Indigo:

The light was odd. The sky above was bright as the clearest summer day, yet the sun was missing; the light of the sky not reaching the ground, the roofs of the houses, the tips of trees. All beneath the sky was dark as night. Streetlights, porch lights, warm cozy lights from windows—their light illuminated nothing. I turned, with difficulty...why am I unable to move? At the fire burning in the street, I made out figures.

"What is this?" I asked.

They paused in their dancing and cried out, laughing, "The Doppelgänger Bonfire Race!" and took off, running.

Mz Olive:

"What's with you and the doctor!" Ludwig's right-brain hemisphere blared to an imaginary conjuring of his dear wife.
"There isn't anything going on between her and our doctor," his left hemisphere placated.
"Um, hey... IS there something going on between you and Dr Eldingsworth?" both halves mused at once.
"My GOD, I am going to go KILL Dr. ELDINGSWORTH. Wait a minute. No really, what if I was just imagining things?"
"Oh, like I wouldn't recognize when my own wife was quote-unquote connecting with somebody."
"Sir, you wouldn't recognize sparks unless they lit onto dry kindling and exploded into flames."

Mz Black:

I woke up with the spins and felt like I had swallowed a significant amount of raw sewage.

"Jesus Christ, babe, brush your teeth or somethin'!" He rolled over, tugging the rest of the sheets off of me.

Cautiously, I raised myself to a sitting position just soon enough to aim a bout of projectile vomiting toward my cat, Agatha, who had just crouched to jump up in my lap. She yowled and tried to leap out of the way but it landed on her back and haunches. I would have laughed, but it is really not possible in mid-yak.

Mz Violet:

It all started with some fish. Large goldfish to be precise, the big ones the Japanese call koi. They're big and pretty and make excellent eating if you were into munching on a pet you'd already named "Goldy". They were low maintenance, self-sufficient and survived the coldest of winters underneath layers of ice, feeding on the algae that grew during the warmer summer months. They didn't require walking or special attention or college trust funds. Koi were the closest things to perfect pets. This was what Jon kept telling himself as he dug larger and deeper into his front yard.